Hmm where to start?!?
we have now painted the inside of the van. This was no small feat for a 7 months pregnant woman! As we had used raw 3mm ply we started with a three in one primer sealer. That was a pretty huge day as the paint was thick and the ply thirsty, but I got there in the end. I then gave the inside two coates of high gloss white.
I also decided to go with a high gloss pale grey around the door and windows.
Next it was time for me to have a little rest… so I decided to do some upholstery… out ‘lounge’ is also a bed, so we decided to go with a single size. Trying to be thrifty I purchased a 6” queen mattress from fantastic furniture… and the cheapest electric knife I could find… a $20 jobby from Kmart. I had read that the electric knife was the best way to cut the foam. It really did work a treat but it was still a bit of a pain to cut. I got there in the end!
Sticking with the thrift idea I waited until there was a 40% off sale at lincraft and picked up a grey and white canvas to tie in with my paint scheme.
While I was busy sewing inside Adam was doing the super tedious task of cleaning the window frames and replacing the old glass and Perspex with new Perspex!
You can see the scabby old frame in this last picture above. The new look frame has been painted in a hammered finish gun metal grey.
Having now done the majority of the day bed cushions I turned my attention to Lino. I picked a Nordic white Lino from Bunnings. I have since learned I probably could have saved s lot by looking into flooring shops… oh well we live and learn.
Now at 7.5 months pregnant I thought long and hard about how to best fit the Lino. In the end I settled on a full paper template. I could then roll out the whole sheet of Lino on the deck and take my time to Cut it just right. I must say, I surprised myself at how well this worked.
I left excess at the front and back to roll up the curve as you can see in the last picture.
We stuck the lino down with some thinned out liquid nails and I have some decorative strip edge to add to places where it will remain exposed after all the built ins are added.
Getting bigger by the day I decided it was time for me to move back to soft furnishings.
Adam set about sorting the roof vent and scraping all the crud and crap off the roof… in hindsight we should have done this sooner… but the heavy canvas tarp we had in it hid a world of hurt up there. It is as they say, out of sight out of mind.
The old hatch (first pic) was replaced with the last pic, the four seasons hatch.
Unfortunately I don’t have pictures Of the roof work, but I will get some and make a post soon.
So, soft furnishings… trying again to be thrifty I looked at spotlight and lincraft for a grey block out fabric, unfortunately I couldn’t find Anything but I did find some fabric that he’d the colours I was working towards. These may change but will do for now!
Luckily I was able To find the mechanisms to make my own roller blinds for $5 instead of the standard $15-20 each.
Next in my list was the awning. After doing some google searching and looking at fabric shops it looked as though an annex might be a bit in the $$ high side.
I would have loved to find a UV stabilised canvase in a white and teal strip. Alas I couldn’t find that in my regional town but I could find two kinds of stripe I didn’t mind.
BUT they were $29 a metre – reduced to $18m on sale. Needing 10m wasn’t going to be throw-away cash if I stuffed it up.
Then I found a fabric, UV stable, for Outdoor use, water resistant not proof… but on a clearance rack for $6m. The shop lady told me if I got the roll she would sell it to me for half price! There was 13m on the roll. At $3m that was acceptable loss if I stuffed it! Again not my ideal fabric pattern, but would do just nicely for now.
I made myself a curved template from an old nappy box, and cut off enough strips to go around three sides. I started to use store bought bias tape but it didn’t have the same quality or flexibility… so I got some matching white and gave begun cutting stitching and pinning. The image above is an example.
Adam spent this weekend adding the water tank and getting the plumbing sorted.
At this rate we might even get this van on the road this year.
Tomorrow I will be 8months pregnant. Almost time to stop work and prep for the babies arrival.
Fingers crossed we can have a nice family holiday in the van sooner than later!
Thanks for reading,